The lucky girl

21st January 2000,
   
                       Daddy brought a diary for me today. He told me to write about my experiences every day. I don't know if 10-year-olds should write diaries or not, but I'll give it a try.

Mommy woke me up at 06:00 AM because I wouldn't wake up by myself. I'd rather stay in bed all day then go to school. And a new school at that.

We had to move to a new place last month because of Daddy changed his job. So I had to leave my friends and school. I miss them. I'm trying to make new friends at my new school. But it's not the same.

So after freshening up, having breakfast and getting ready, mum kissed me, and daddy dropped me to the bus stand.

There were other students including one of my classmate Arpita and a teacher waiting for the school bus with me.

"Do you like to play video games?" Arpita asked.

"Depending on the game."

"Do you like Mario. I got the latest version yesterday Super Mario."

"Yes, I love it!"

"Then you should come to my house today! We'll play." She said excitedly.

"Ok, I'll come!"

I noticed someone. An elderly lady was standing at the other end of the street. She had a walking stick in her right hand, a bag in the left hand, and goggles on her eyes. She seemed blind to me. There was a lot of traffic on the road, and nobody was helping her to cross the road. I decided to help her. I crossed the street and approached her.

She appeared ancient with her entire face covered with wrinkles. All her hairs were grey. She didn't seem to notice me as I came near her.

"Let me help you cross the road miss." I took her left hand in my right hand and helped with the bag.

" Thank you, dear" She smiled.

A bus was coming, so we stopped for it to pass. "It's not a problem miss," I said. "Where are you going?" She seemed hesitant for half a second before speaking "I'm going to my son's house."

The bus passed, and we crossed the road. I handed her the bag.The old lady turned toward me.
"You are a very kind girl" She took out something from her bag, "Here take this." I took it. It was round, coin-like thing, black in colour. Like an amulet. "Whenever you're in trouble, keep this amulet with you. It'll keep you safe."

I am a kid but not a stupid kid. I knew that there was no magic in that black amulet. I knew that she gave this coin to me just for making me happy. Nevertheless, I kept the amulet in my pocket.
"Thanks a lot, miss. I'll always keep it with me."

She walked away slowly. I got back to the bus stand. But everyone was staring at me in a weird way, even the teacher.

"Priti, why did you cross the road and came back? And why were you speaking to yourself?" Arpita asked.

I thought she was just joking with me. "I like to walk and talk to myself. You should try it too." I laughed. She smiled nervously.

The bus arrived, and we got in it and went to school.

In school, nothing eventful happened, except in the science class.

"Priti, what did you write for the last question of the homework?" Yamini asked.

"Oh god! I forgot to do the homework." I asked nervously. "What should I do? The teacher is about to come!"

"Pranav sir is very strict. He punishes girls too!" Yamini said seriously.

I was feeling very scared. The teacher arrived. He stood in front of us and smiled a terrible smile.

"I hope everyone has done their homework. Whoever hasn't done it should stand up right now."

Nobody stood up. Everyone knew that he was very strict, so they had done the homework except stupid me. I was careless because I was new. I stood up alone. Everyone stared at me with pitiful eyes.

"Priti come here with your science notebook. I shall write a note which you shall show your parents." Pranav sir said sternly."Don't presume that I'll spare you because you're a girl!"

I took out the notebook with trembling hands. I was very scared. So scared that I was about to cry. I slowly walked up to him and gave him my notebook. He opened the book and turned the pages. Then he looked at me with a puzzled expression.

"Priti when you've done your homework then why did you stand up? Go back to your seat!" He gave the book back to me. I went back to my seat and opened the book. I was shocked to see that the homework was complete. That too in my handwriting. In my nervousness, I didn't feel earlier that my pocket was cold against my skin. But now I was feeling its coldness. It was the amulet. It had become cold. That was strange. I ignored it.

How did this happen? It must be a prank or something, I thought. Maybe one of the boys has done my homework to surprise me. Maybe Arpita did it. I didn't know really.

So I went back to home. Later in the evening, I went to Arpita's home to play Super Mario. We enjoyed it a lot. And now I'm writing this diary sitting on my chair in my room. Today was a good day.

P.S. Daddy and mommy didn't scold me for watching T.V till late. That was weird.

Amulet
Amulet                 PC- Hans


No comments:

Post a Comment

Go Top